When should I get a commercial roof replacement?
The spring and summer weather in the area can be beautiful and enjoyable. But when winter arrives, the ice, rain, and snow can wreak havoc on a commercial roof. Replacement is often needed when commercial roof repairs aren’t feasible, which makes it important to know when you need a commercial roof replacement in Clayton, NC or the surrounding area. Let’s take a look at some of the factors that can indicate it’s time for a new roof.
What is the best material for commercial roof replacement?
The installation of a commercial roof replacement is more complex than replacing the roof on your home. A commercial roof covers a larger area and requires more maintenance. The most commonly recommended roofing material in this area is Modified Bitumen.
For a commercial roof replacement, you get a more durable and energy-efficient material. It withstands the freezing temperatures that Pittsburg is known for as well as other outdoor elements for up to 20 years or longer. Because it is a light-colored roofing material, it also reflects the UV rays in the summer, which helps with utility costs.
Other choices in commercial roof replacement materials include:
- EPDM: Ethylene propylene diene monomer is a common material type for low-sloping roofs. It is lightweight, yet durable and energy efficient. EPDM commercial roof replacement that is properly installed and maintained can have a lifespan of up to 35 years.
- TPO: Thermoplastic polyolefin commercial roofing material is a light-reflective material with an expected lifespan between 22 years and 30 years. The different layers can end with a light color on top for UV reflectiveness or black to keep the heat inside the building.
- Built-Up Roofing: A commercial roof replacement using built-up roofing will have several layers, thus the ‘built up’ factor. The layers include bitumen, surfacing, and either fiberglass or organic ply sheets for reinforcement. The lifespan of a properly installed and maintained BUR roof is up to 30 years on average.
What is the least expensive type of commercial roof replacement?
The least expensive commercial roof replacement material is spray foam, not just for installation, but which will save you going forward in ways such as energy costs. A spray foam roof is self-adhered, no flashing is needed and there are no seams. A properly installed spray foam roof will have an R-value of 6.5 per inch and won’t have any possibility of leaking at the seams because there aren’t any seams.
What is the longest-lasting commercial flat roof?
Metal is the oldest type of roofing material for commercial roof replacement. Used for over 30 years, it has been proven to have durability and longevity. A downside is the initial expense for installation, but the cost is recouped through lower utility bills. Other factors to consider with metal commercial roof replacement include:
- Maintenance: Periodic inspections are recommended to ensure the drain system is working and keeping it clear of any debris.
- Lifespan: A metal commercial roof replacement with adequate and proper sloping will have a minimal lifespan of 30 years.
- Colors: Metal for commercial roof replacement is available in various colors that can be chosen to meet the architectural appearance of the structure.
Is re-roofing possible instead of a commercial roof replacement?
In some areas, this is possible, though you or your roofing contractor will need to verify this with the local building codes. Re-roofing is where the roofing contractor installs a new roof over the existing roof. While this sounds like a cheap way to go, again, you should verify the building codes in the area, this may not be allowed.
Depending on your existing roofing situation, spray foam is the most commonly used. However, you have to keep in mind that every situation is different and your roofing contractor will be able to advise you if re-roofing is possible or if you need a complete commercial roof replacement.
A Few Facts In Closing
It may not seem possible today, but slate was the most commonly used material for commercial roof installation and commercial roof replacement for many years. Today, it is almost cost-prohibitive, but if you make that investment, you likely won’t need a new roof ever again.
To help with the energy costs, contractors can add a layer of insulation on a commercial roof replacement. Choosing a lighter color will keep the building cooler in the summer, but if you have more winter weather, choosing a dark color is recommended. Another option to consider is having a green roof installed. This can give your building more energy efficiency and help ease the urban island heat effect too.
It is important to follow the recommendations of the contractor and the manufacturer to get the best results and longer lifespan from your commercial roof replacement. While a spray foam roof is recommended as a long-lasting material, for up to 30 years, and metal roofing can last even longer, following the maintenance instructions and having routine roof inspections can help extend that lifespan even longer.
Have you found yourself seeking help with a commercial roof replacement in Clayton, NC or the surrounding area? Give us a call at 919-697-1145 to schedule a consultation with our team.